BAFCA Level 1 Coaching Qualification
This is the basic level of coaching qualification, which gives outline knowledge of coaching American Football, and enables the holder to introduce American Football and to assist a coach award holder. The holder once fully registered with the NGB as a coach is covered by the association’s insurance for working unsupervised. However, it is recommended that newly qualified coaches should work under the supervision of an experienced coach or a minimum of a level 2 coach award holder.
Learners can expect to cover the following:
- Roles and responsibilities of the coach
- Duty of care
- Inclusive coaching practice
- Coaching Process
- Health & Safety & Risk Assessments
- Emergency Action Plan
- Core Fundamentals of Blocking and Tackling
Who is the course for?
Individuals who usually attend this course are parents of athletes, players or ex-players, interested adults, teachers, youth workers, students etc
What’s the value of this course?
This course is ideal for learners who are seeking to move into Assistant Coaching positions and for those seeking to develop into positional coaching positions.
- Be at least 16 years of age.
NB.16 and 17 years olds are not covered by the association’s insurance for working unsupervised and must work under the supervision of a minimum of a level 2 coach award holder.
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Have access to a laptop/tablet, good WiFi and microphone to participate in virtual classroom sessions. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process.
Additional components for the course
The following additional elements must be completed and uploaded to the Google Classroom for the course to be completed and certification to be awarded. These elements should also be uploaded to the NGB registration system.
USA Football Youth Coach Certification – https://usafootball.com/development-training/certification/
This element must be completed prior to practical assessment.
UK Coaching Digital Duty of Care Badge: https://www.ukcoaching.org/duty-to-care
Or if coaching Under 18’s this MUST be a Level 1 Safeguarding qualification.
(UK Coaching, Sports Structures, NSPCC or similar)
To achieve the British American Football Coaches Association Level 1 award, learners are required to have assessed evidence of:
- Completing all additional components for the course – USA Football Coaching Certification and UK Coaching Digital Duty of Care Badge or Level 1 Safeguarding Qualification
- Completing all written and online tasks via Sports Structures platform
- Completing all online tests associated with the content covered on the course
- The final element of the course involves the assessment of coaching practice. This will include one progressive coaching drill, along with a core fundamentals drill.
Learners will complete this by uploading coaching videos to a designated BAFCA Level 1 Google Classroom for assessment.
Format / duration
The course has a flexible delivery model. To meet qualification requirements, we deliver this qualification through a blended delivery.
The courses are delivered through a blended learning approach. This consists of:
- Online learning via our e-learning platform ahead of the virtual classroom sessions
- Online Assessment Questions
- 1 x 2-hour virtual classroom sessions with an experienced tutor
- Practical Assessment via Google Classroom
- Completing all additional components for the course
It is recommended that all elements of the course are completed within a maximum 3-month window. However, the certification process is based on the learner completing each of the elements of the course.
Once all elements are completed and have been assessed learners’ certificates will be available automatically on their Sports Structures learner dashboard. These then need to be uploaded to the NGB registration system.
Learners will have a maximum of one-year’s access to their online learner dashboard.
This is the basic level of coaching qualification, which gives outline knowledge of coaching American Football, and enables the holder to introduce American Football and to assist a coach award holder (or above). The holder once fully registered with the NGB as a coach is covered by the association’s insurance for working unsupervised. However, it is recommended newly qualified coaches should work under the supervision of an experienced coach or minimum of a level 2 coach award holder.
This course can lead to further learning, CPD or training in the area of coaching American Football and/or the progression onto the British American Football Coaches Association Level 2 certification.
The course will cost £55 per person.
Full payment will need to be received prior to starting the course once your place is confirmed.
*If no courses are available, please register your interest and we will email you when new dates are released*
Registration of interest
This process is available to determine demand. Further courses will be organised if demand exists so we would strongly recommend that you register your interest.
The registration of interest process is free. Your payment details are not required. You will be asked to complete your ‘booking’ details, but this will simply be to register your interest and not book onto a course.
Would you like further information?
The course can also be delivered face to face, to specific groups such as universities, coaching providers etc.
To book onto a course please click the link below: